Monday, January 10, 2005

Angel of the North

My "365 Bottles of Beer for the Year" (a gift from the Angry Engineer) today features the "Federation Angel Ale". The label features a picture of the Angel of the North:

.

No doubt this is a gorgeous statue, but the engineer in me cringes at the sight. Of all the configurations for a structure, this one does not seem wise. Luckily the engineers on the project designed it to withstand 100 mph winds.
I also initially assumed it was near the English Channel or maybe meant to greet aviators making the Atlantic crossing. Nope, it's somewhere in the middle of England; it was a nice thought.
Anyway, here's a fact sheet. I had no idea this momument existed, I'll make sure to see it if I ever get to England...and then I'll stop by for a pint in Dunstan, Gateshead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home