Monday, August 15, 2005

New Helical antenna design.

Caught this off daily wireless the article is on a new helical antenna design. Helical antennas with circular polarization are not new. What is unique about this antenna is the use of "kinks" in the antenna to provide a higher effective loop area ( a 70%) improvement is quoted. What I'm not sure of is how this effects antenna pattern or insertion loss. My undergrad senior project used a helical that was tapered to allow for a higher bandwidth. We struggled maintaining the antenna pattern and a low insertion loss. I later learned (in the real world) that a different taper patten would have solved our problems, but that knowledge was classified or proprietary.
Come to think of it, I'm not sure the kinks are new either, and I'm not sure what the FCC has to say about using circular polarization for wi-fi. At the very least, FCC testing is done with linear polarization. If a device was tested with this antenna, it seems to me that you'd be cheating a 3dB increase in output...like I said I don't think this is 100% legal. Another issue you have is that once you're circularly polarized signal is scattered (one of the dominant modes for propagation in this band) it is essentially linear. So, my assumption is that it's not intended a CP (circular pol.) antenna would be used on the receive side. So yeah, if the equipment is certified using LP (linear pol) to the FCC limit they could be cheating on the EIRP (equivalent Isotropic Radiated Power) requirement. At least to the spirit of the regulation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home