Thursday, February 24, 2005

What not to sing in Karoke

Last Friday one of my hosts and I here in Japan went out for Karoke. There is Karoke in Japan like the U.S., where you get up on stage and sing. Far more popular, however, is the Karoke booth. A group of people sit in a small room with a machine, a minimum drink purchase is required, and there is a fee.
I am well known for my inspirational Johny Cash Karoke er...stylings, but there was not any Johnny Cash on the box. Lucky for me, my Japanese friend was not familiar with American music, he stuck to Chinese and Japanese pop songs, which of course I could not follow. He wasn't that bad; a good singer. Myself, I am a terrible singer, or perhaps more correctly, I should stay away from songs I know and like and stick to songs I know and can sing. For example:
I started out with some Pearl Jam, co-worker suggested a song that seemed to fit me based on the title. Not to bad, but to me the most annoying thing is Karoke is songs with lots of repeated "uh-huhs" and the like. I discovered Pearl Jam is not good for this, at least not songs off "Ten". I also figured out that most American rocks songs are of the form verse, chorus, verse, solo, half-verse. OK, yes I should know this, but it is very much evident when you're sitting watching some cheesey Japanese video of a biker guy drinking beer and walking around alone on a beach (the background video for the song in question). I also forgot about the swearing in the song, which led to a moment of slight embarassment, the Japanese are not big on swearing.
Next up Weezer, the obvious choice being in Japan was "Across the Sea". Look up the lyrics, unfortunately, while novel and ironic, it's lost on someone not familiar with the song and for the entire "Pinkerton" album from which the song originates. It's also not a very good Karoke song for anyone but young female Japanese Weezer fans. (Also tried my hand at "Island in the Sun" not terrible but still a bit off-beat for Karoke).
The best Karoke songs of the night, "Allison" by Elvis Costello and "With or Without You" by U2. Other examples of song that don't work "Strutter" (KISS), "The Distance" (Cake), "Creep" (TLC), I worded in the Afghan Whigs variation, but the pacing was still all TLC. Moderate success was acheivable with RadioHead's "Creep" and "High and Dry". Refering to "Strutter" and REM's "What's the Frequency?", these are on-stage Karoke songs, where the proper mix of beeru, gusto, and rock star immitation would make for great fun...but not while sitting in a room with a Japanese guy in his late 30s.

BTW, Mr.Big is still huge in Japan it seems their entire catalog was available on the Karoke machine and I just heard "Be with you" on a credit card commercial.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Angry Engineer said...

Verse-Chorus-Verse - the name of an excellent Nirvana song, released as a hidden track on the No Alternative AIDS/HIV benefit album. It was sorta a dig at the music industry.

I have no idea what I'd pick if forced to do karoke, as I have no singing talent. That kinda leaves rap as my only alternative. Maybe if some Dre was busted-out, I'd do OK. Or maybe some RATM? Certainly, I wouldn't be able to do Ten-era PJ - Eddie doesn't necessarily sing great or with a lot of range on that album, but it's very unique.

Speaking of young Japanese Weezer fans, post some pictures of them. Perhaps they're wearing schoolgirl outfits or tight Hello Kitty shirts. Or maybe not.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Oberon said...

Yeah, the Nirvana song came to mind immediately.
Also, suprisingly enough, no Dre. Enimem, 50 cent, nothing classic. RATM was available, but the songs sounded cheesey enough as it is.

I've reached to conclusion that Japan is overrun with teenage girls. Much like in the U.S. it's the decade of grrrl power...or some variant therein. Unfortunately, it's February here in Japan too so all the girls are wearing long coats.
As far as taking snapshots of young Japanese Weezer fans. I haven't found any yet. Should I run into any between now and Sunday I'll let you know. Not to mention, I had no intention of throwing out the Pinkerton vibe with my co-workers...except for singining "Across the Sea." That was the one exception....
So yeah, everywhere you turn giggling girls staring at the gaijin, pointing...and more giggling, talking on their cell phone...pretty much like the USA. Older girls seem to assume your looking for a geisha girl companion. Yup, nothing makes the Japanese girls turn heads like a slightly overweight, blonde bearded guy.
BTW, there's a ex MTV VJ who looks like Perry Farrell teaching english on Japanese PBS. Very bizarre, but I expect no less.

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home